THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday 24 August 2009

Oh, wonder, where art thou??

Not wonder, as in awe......but wonder, as in I wonder........? Perhaps having a six year old is leaving me wondering.....no pun intended! How did I get started on this? Woodstock. Ok, Ok, I was like, two! But I was recently viewing some newly surfaced photos, and one of the comments made about the photos was, 'Just hanging out and waiting, that's what everybody was doing. No texting, no instant gratification.' THERE. THAT THERE. No instant gratification. No wondering. When I was little, if I wondered about something, I would wait to go to the library with my mom, or I'd ask questions, which would lead to me going to the bottom of the bookcase, that was reserved for TONS of Encyclopedia Brittanica, and browsing through several volumes for the answer. However, because of my curiosity, I was often led astray and ended up reading about something else, not at all related to my original wondering.
That's gone, isn't it? Nowadays, with just a click, we are left with no chance to wonder, no small flicker of imagination creating fun, sometimes goofy answers to our questions. Before we can even finish the 'Why is/does/' .......we've googled the answer. (I hate that term, google, I rarely use it, so from now on I'll refer to it as a search.)
Every once in awhile, I have a wonder question......now mind you, this is rare, and a search can't instantly gratify me. Let me for instance you. When I lived in Florida, Tampa Bay area, I remember once hanging out by the bay, waiting, and saw something curious in the shallow water. Thinking it seaweed, and watching it gently sway back and forth, I reached down and touched it. SLUUUUUURRRRRRRPPPPPP!!! It quickly sucked itself under the sand. Ok, never having seen anything like this before, I reached out to touch another one. While this one was slurping under, the first one was sneaking back out. Well, I never said it takes a lot to amuse me, so I had fun WONDERING what this was, and generally poking these thingys back under. They are hard to describe, sort of reminded me of bamboo, in that they were tubular and hollow in the middle. Ok, now what were they? How to search? Tubular, underwater, hollow, seaweed thingys that suck back under the sand when prodded?? Google THAT, my friend! (ok, I know, but 'search that' just doesn't have the same effect.
So now, ten years or so after the wonderous discovery of some weird sea life under the bay, I am still left WONDERING what they were. Are. Whatever. I'm pretty sure they are still there. And I don't know if I want to know what they were. Are. I might just leave it alone. Keep that sense of wondering, not knowing.....
After all, it's very little that we have to wonder about today. I think I'll leave the searches alone for a bit, get out my imagination, wipe off the cobwebs, spruce it up, and let it run for awhile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved it you would find just any little thing and show it to me and just look at me with those big eyes and wait till

Anonymous said...

I sent the one above you would wait till I told you all about it ginnie