THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday 25 August 2009

Experiments with leftovers.



Can you say YUM! I had a bit of a dilemma, a BIG bowl of leftover biryani that all the meat had been picked out of, and nobody was going to eat. If you aren't familiar with biryani, you can check it out here.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Biryani

If you don't want to follow the link, basically I had a huge bowl of spicy basmati rice.

We hate to waste food around here, so I decided to turn it into chicken soup. I used frozen chicken left over from a grill we'd done, the rice from the briyani, chicken stock, a few dashes of flour, to make it thicker, a bit more seasonings, and a splash or two of milk, for creaminess. Then I topped the whole thing off with homemade dumplings. Really interesting result! Because the rice had loads of flavor, and a bit of oil in it, the dumplings soaked up all the briyani yumminess. Not something I had expected, but the whole thing turned out delicious!

Leftovers RULE!!

0 comments: